Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Family Questionnaire

 

Family Questionnaire 

One of the ways we can learn about ourselves is to learn about our ancestry. Thank you for taking the time to go through these questions and fill them out with your child. Students will be sharing about their ancestry with the class to gain an understanding of their “self”. Along with this questionnaire, please send an artifact to school for your child to share with the class. Artifacts will be for “eyes only” unless it is given permission to be passed around.

Please read the example questionnaire below to help guide you to completion.

Thank you!


Family Questionnaire 

Name: Pamela Nadine Green

  1. What is your full name? Why did your parents select this name for you? Does it mean something?

Pamela - meaning sweet as honey 

Nadine - Hope

  1. Where were you born? Your parents? Your grandparents? Your ancestors?

I was born in Portage La Prairie Mb. My Mom was born in Roblin MB and my Dad was born in Churchbridge Saskatchewan. My Grandma was born in Churchbridge and my Grandpa was born in Poland. My Baba was born in Roblin and my Geido was born in the Ukraine. My ancestors came from Ukraine and Poland.

  1. What language(s) do you speak? Your parents? Your grandparents? Your ancestors?
    I speak english. My Mom speaks Ukrainian. My Dad speaks english. My ancestors spoke Ukrainian. 

  2. How did your family/ancestors come to live here?

My Geido and Grandpa both came to Canada by boat. They came to work on the railroad and because of this were given a plot of land to live on.

5. Do you have any special holidays you celebrate? Can you describe them?

Christmas and Ukrainian Christmas


6. What kind of games did your parents play growing up? Your grandparents?

We played lots of board games, card games as well as baseball, badminton, 

7. Is there a special or favorite food your family eats?

We love to eat perogies, Kielbasa(Ukrainian sausage) meat pies, 

8. Does your family have any traditions? (holidays/religious)

We celebrate Christmas and Ukrainian Christmas

9. Are there any special clothing or garments your family wear? What are they?

When I was young I would wear a Ukrainian dancing costume. Now as I am married I wear traditional Maori bone carvings from NZ 


10. Anything else you would like to share?


 Information about your artifact:

My artifact is a bone carving with a paua shell for an eye. My husband is from NZ. The bone carvings are very sacred and meaningful to the people of NZ. It was given to me by one of the elders when I left the school I was teaching at in New Zealand. It was blessed by a Maori Elder. The shape has specific meanings - It is an ancient mythical being with a birds head and a human form. Mania - It is a holder of great spiritual energy and guardian against evil.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Report Cards

  Report Cards Report cards will be available online on June 28th. Please remember that if your child's mark has remained the same, that...